Wednesday 17 April 2013

Shooting: Sharon Rooney


Over the past few years, life has proved that if nothing else, I am one of those people that seems to find themselves in the most unrealistic and unpredictable of situations. From quivering in a press pit at London Fashion Week at the age of 18, through to shooting an advertising campaign, barefoot on Venice Beach in the city of angels (LA) itself, barely into my 20s, it certainly has been an adventure. Or rather a series of adventures. 

One particular adventure that I will never forget was the day I shot Sharon Rooney. We'd been briefed by my close friend and work colleague Corrine McConnachie (assistant editor at the Bite Magazine) that we had a very special lady in our midst - right at the tip of her career - and she was set for big things and we were to interview her about her fantastic leading role as Rae in E4's "My Mad Fat Diary", based on the book by the inspiring real life Rae Earl.

 Believe me, excited did not cover it for us all.


The shoot itself, could not have gone better - and my fears of people being held up in traffic were assuaged when everybody on the team turned up very early. Using beautiful styling from the likes of Marks and Spencers, Biba and Mary Portas, we sat Sharon down for her interview, hair and make-up - and within about ten minutes, we were developing six packs from howling at her natural wit and charm.

I used my trademark lighting - shooting on flash with an octobox as the key light, reflectors right, left and centre, as well as a little honeycomb for some nice fill and hair lighting. Sharon was a complete natural in front of the camera - never too pouty or too contrived - making my job very easy and above all else enjoyable!


All in all, Sharon was a complete pleasure to work with. The team left on a high, buzzing with the anticipation of the release of the photos. It is rare to meet a lady as genuine and talented as Sharon and I say this with the full backing of my team, that I wish her the best of success for a long and prosperous career. 

You can read our interview with Sharon here

Lx





Team

 Interview: Corrine McConnachie
Stylist: Stephanie Boyle
Make-up: Elaine Burns
Assisting: Allen Stewart


2 comments: